Friday 29 July 2011

There's No Armpit Hair Over or Under Here

Blondie of Transatlantic Blonde fame has issued a Call to Arms, as it were, for Feminist Friday. To shave or not to shave? THAT is quite a question. I started shaving under my arms many, many years ago when I had virtually no hair there anyway. I did it because, well, that's what my Mom did, and her sisters did, and most of the women and girls I knew or saw on TV or in magazines did. It seemed to me that it separated the women from the girls, and I was definitely aiming to be one of the women. I've never been very hairy, so it isn't very noticeable if I don't shave, but *I* notice. And I don't like the little black hair stubble-- reminds me of fly legs. Ugh. Just na-zasty.

Do I think shaving and the new Venus razor blades with 5 blades and 27 gel layers are part of some sort of patriarchal plot? Not really; marketing hype, certainly, and preying on our fear of ever being demonized as unfeminine. It is also an artificial de-naturalisation in the name of 'Beauty,' whoever she is. I don't see what purpose the hair serves in the first place-- it should be obvious to everyone that I've been through puberty, no? So any potential 'come hither, Caveman, I am now fertile and of age' signalling it might have done is pretty pointless. Will I carry on shaving? Yep. Will I defend the right of women Over There or Over Here or Anywhere to NOT shave? Yep.


(ten minutes later)
I can't resist adding a (revolting) visual, because I am stubbly and proud of it! Weak of stomach, look away now:

2 comments:

  1. I think you are in the same position as me except I do think this new trend towards extreme hair removal is patriarchally influenced.

    I'm all for hair removal that's tidy or hygienic (whether it is or not)but this need to get rid of hair everywhere for male approval is not cool.

    Thanks for taking part!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks. I do wonder re: the patriarchal bit-- I think we are pretty good as a gender at talking ourselves into very stupid shit, so not sure we need to go looking for anyone to point the finger at, at this stage....

    ReplyDelete